Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Kathoey's in Paradise

I spent the long weekend, which included the 6th month anniversary of my arrival in Thailand in Kho Samui(the same stinking island where I was dive certified 6 months ago). The time has not made it a more pleasant place but it was, nonetheless, a weekend I wont soon forget.

After about 5 hours in the car, traveling with a friend from Phuket(Tik) and her cousin, we finally made it to Samui. We met Tik's nephew @ the pier - Well I suppose I should say niece(or... I don't really know what to call her relation to Tik) . 'Got' is his/her name and he/she was a real pleasure to meet(with no sexual connotation).

He/she - or more accurately "Shim" as we would later call Shim to Shim's delight - works at a fancy resort giving high priced Thai massages to high priced guests.

Kathoeys (The Thai name for transexuals like Got) are quite common in Thailand which makes going out on the town anywhere a little different as you will(or at least I am) often be solicited for all sorts of things that take "short-time", "long-time", "Fun-Time", etc. from long haired, long legged, big bosom-ed, beauties with a deep voice and big hairy hands. Bar hopping in Thailand is not the time to let down your guard - unless of course you ARE interested in the company in which case go for it.

Anyhow, Got was not the type of Kathoey who was out on the streets late at night soliciting shimself. Got had a good, well paid job in a nice resort and he/she was genuine "jai-dii"(kind heart). Which is good because I often have found myself wondering about what these people's lives are like - no better no worse no doubt but what do they go through in Thailand to be who they are?

Got showed us what shim could of the island for the first day and we we stopped for lunch and tore through about 300B(8$) worth of delicious spicy Isan food(Isan is the area in the northeast of Thailand where my three mentioned friends are from originally). Isan food can mean many things but in our case it consisted of som-tam(spicy papaya salad), gai-yang(grilled chicken), khao neeo(sticky rice), and laap(Usually chicken or pork salad - always delicious).

We went to the beach after lunch and returned to the guest house and we ended up getting massages in turn from Got. Yes, I now can say I've been massaged by a transexual, and no I'm not going to report it to the police, and yes I enjoyed every second. score...

This may come as a surprise to some of you(probably not to others) but if you know me at all you know that I'm not the type to discriminate. The best Thai massage in your life is the best Thai massage in your life folks.

Thouroughly relaxed from our Thai massages, and me exhausted from a bit of a cold I've had recently, we went to bed/hit the sack/hit the hay/got some shut eye.

In the morning we did some more exploring(pretty uneventful). In the evening we ate moo-kata(Barbecue pork) Which is actually more like barbecue whatever you like. Everyone sits around the table and throws meats on the Barbie and veggies in the soup at the base of the of the barbecue grill. The grill is dome shaped so all the deliciousness ends up in the soup and its deeeelectable.

Oh, also less than $2.50/person all you can grill and eat.

It got more interesting when we went out to a couple of bars/clubs that night. In the end we hit 3 different spots and we got turned away from one because Got was a Kathoey. Sad really because she's really harmless.

We left Samui the next afternoon at 4:00pm. I got back to Tapput late last night and got up early to get on the bus to Malaysia to extend my visa for another 5 months.

Wish me luck - I miss you mak...

ps. Charles your emails are re-donk-ulus...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home