Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Photo Post 3 - Cooking and Loy Kratong Photos
Making some delicious Thai grub(not too bad ehh?)
Here is why its not too bad. Maee is teaching me and holding my hand through each step. What a lovely lady.
Here is a photo from the buddist/Thai Loy Kratong festival. The religious purpose is to float your sins down the river with a pretty floating vessel. The vessel holds insence and a candle which have some religious significance. Here is the biggest Kratong I saw at the festival. The communities in the area all compete for the nicest/prettiest/biggest Kratong.
Here I am making my family's Kratong with the help of Maee and Nam-tuey (adorable isn't she?).
How sweet is this. These little girls got all dressed up and performed beautifully for the festival.

The students with their teacher(Maee)


This one won first prize. I'm pretty sure its bio-degradable (amazing isn't it? Nature... and 48hrs strait of hard work)

I couldn't contain my laughter for this group. These groups of tiny kids(about 20 different ones) from all over the area practiced(no doubt for many weeks) dances to blasting heart racing/pounding music to get up on stage and they all ended up doing very similar dances with small variations. They learn quickly the Thais. They have got western pop culture down.


The beautiful Menora dance danced by men to screeeeching thai traditional music.



The end of the night (2am) - We floated our family's kratong(the one I made) in our back yard. I got up the next morning(well, that morning) at 6:30am.

1 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

hey nick- it's emily from coral reef (you stole my picture). it looks like you have been up to some pretty interesting stuff. it's been too long since we last spoke. i just wanted to say hi and see how you were doing! i miss you and i hope all is well!
-emily

12:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home